SSB BART Group (SSB) helps companies design and enhance their digital systems - including websites, web applications, software, hardware, and services - so they are usable by people with disabilities. In the same way that buildings must conform to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), modern websites and applications must be accessible to people with disabilities or face legal liability. SSB allows organizations to address these risks and provide equal access through software, training, and consulting solutions. As a company, we seek to both do well financially and create a world where all users have access to digital systems.
SSB's market - digital accessibility solutions - is growing extremely rapidly, and SSB is looking for a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) that can help us capture this growth and expand our market leadership position. As we scale the company and integrate additional firms, we need an experienced leader to foster and coach a strong finance and operations organization, and to take ownership of our company’s operations, finance, accounting, and enterprise reporting functions. The role will focus on ensuring that SSB has the relevant controls, reporting tools, and operational rhythms to support (i) high growth and (ii) demonstrate positive operating leverage as we grow. This position will include responsibility for ensuring that day-to-day tactical operations are running smoothly while long-term strategic goals are being tracked and met. In addition, this position will be a key in ensuring the consistent and accurate delivery of reporting to our investors.
The right candidate will have extensive experience in developing and directing finance and operations teams at enterprise targeted, business-to-business (B2B) solution providers. The ideal candidate will have worked in a private equity backed organization that packages a SaaS product and consulting together into a comprehensive solution.
- Provide insightful and trusted counsel to the CEO, management team, and Board on both strategic and financial issues.
- Head the accounting, financial planning, governance, and legal operations of the company.
- Work with each team to collaboratively develop and deploy internal controls to map day-to-day operations to target financial outcomes.
- Provide hands-on, metric-driven financial leadership to drive growth and profitability, providing the executive team with operational insight to better manage the business.
- Work with the team to set organizational policies and procedures for accounting, finance and operations.
- Ensure that the policies and procedures are realized and enforced in the relevant systems of record including Salesforce, FinancialForce, QuickBooks Online, Jazz, and any successor systems.
- Develop and maintain a plan to ensure the company’s back office systems support the growth of the business.
- Work with peer members of the management team to provide monthly forecasting on revenue, sales, cash, expense, and hiring outcomes versus plan for the current quarter and Year To Date (YTD). Provide active guidance to the management team on operational changes needed to keep the company on plan.
- Work with peer members of the management team to provide weekly, monthly, and quarterly key performance indicator (KPI) reports that illustrate the key factors driving the business. Support the publication of these KPIs on a monthly basis in a format suitable for distribution to SSB’s Board of Directors.
- Work with peer members of the management team, CEO, and investors to analyze benefits and risks of strategic investments and opportunities.
- Extend the reach of a robust, data-driven decision making culture as far as possible.
- Work with the operations and accounting team to ensure timely and accurate monthly and quarterly closes including publication of achievement against all incentive-based compensation plans.
- Coach and mentor direct reports on the most effective methods for managing their staff and improving performance.
- Foster internal communication and responsiveness, coordinating/building strong working relations with various lateral organizations including Sales, Marketing, Support, Customer Success, Services, Product, and Development.
- Own the long term strategic financial model for the company and update on a quarterly basis.
- Serve as the principal manager of SSB's day-to-day relationship with our institutional investor, auditors, lawyers, and lender(s), if applicable.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and local tax requirements in each jurisdiction in which the company operates.
- Act as a leader within the company.
- Operations Experience: At least 10 years of operating experience in enterprise targeted B2B solutions. The ideal candidate will have experience both with consulting and software solutions.
- Finance Experience: Deep experience with key activities of finance, accounting, and planning. This position leads an accounting and finance organization, so extensive experience in that field is a requirement.
- Accounting Experience: People in your life have suggested that you marry Excel since you love it so much. You know and love balance sheets, P & L statements, and all manner of accounting documents. Positive operating cash flow should make you happy. The ideal candidate will have experience working in accounting in the technology or services field.
- Systems Experience: You should know QuickBooks, Excel, and Salesforce like a pro. Bonus points if you are familiar with Financial Force.
- Communicative: You should be able to clearly and effectively communicate with customers – internal and external - in both in writing and verbally. Written communication should show a high attention to detail. Verbal communication should be formal and indicate the ability to communicate complex topics concisely.
- Organized and Disciplined: SSB has a culture of disciplined execution over a long period of time. We seek to work with people that have this focus and can execute activities on their own, over a long period of time without a large amount of management oversight. An individual that will succeed in this environment should have a desire to grow in the system over several years and seek to build towards big goals over a long period of time. If your time horizon is six months, we are probably not a good match for you.
- Small Environment Experience: SSB is a small, growing company with teams in three offices across the country. Experience working in a small office environment is a desired component. As part of this role, there will also be frequent coordination across time zones – flexibility is a must.
- Integrity: Must demonstrate impeccable integrity and ethical standards
- 10+ years of experience in finance and accounting roles, including managing and reporting against budgets and key operating targets in high growth business with $20 - $100 mil in revenue. The ideal candidate has been the Chief Financial Officer of a private equity backed software and services company with expertise in creating and implementing innovative solutions that drive transformation, change, and growth and support strategic business objectives.
- Experience with QuickBooks Online, Salesforce and Financial Force.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and upgrade systems, tools, and processes to increase insight into the business, including migrating from QuickBooks to a professional accounting system.
- Experience building and managing a finance, planning, and reporting team inside an organization.
- Demonstrated record as a strategic thinker with the ability to analyze and articulate the impact of specific investments on customer satisfaction, retention, renewal, and growth to the organization as a whole.
- Ability to model investments, outcomes, and trade-offs between growth and profitability. Ability to discuss the same with management team peers and crystalize a strategy that optimizes a go-forward path.
- Ability to analyze various courses of action in a disciplined fashion and create relevant KPIs to match the execution of each course of action.
Bachelor's degree or higher in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or a related technical field.
This is a full-time, salaried position with a competitive benefits package. It is being offered in the Vienna, VA office. For immediate consideration, please apply online with your resume and cover letter.
SSB BART Group is committed to workforce diversity. Equal Opportunity Employer. Copyright 2017, SSB BART Group. All rights reserved.